Friday, 23 February 2007


In 1975, when I was six or seven, I would be so excited to come home from school on a Thursday each week, because it was the day that my Twinkle comic was delivered! Twinkle seems to be largely forgotten now, yet it was the most marvellous, funny and beautifully-illustrated comic (or 'picture paper' as it was called) of its day, and it ran from 1968 until the early 1990s.

As part of my one-woman crusade to bring Twinkle back into everyone's hearts, last year I made one-off pocket mirrors and fridge magnets for Lark, using some tatty annuals that I found at jumble sales and car boot sales. They sold really well in the shops, so it seems that the cute illustrations still appeal to young girls (or is it their mums?!).

I recently also started a Wikipedia entry on Twinkle, and if anyone has more information please add it or let me know.

And finally, this week I have started scanning my own treasured collection of Twinkle comics and annuals into Flickr. They look wonderful all together, and if you'd like to peek at them, there's a link on the right hand sidebar on this page. I will soon be adding some scans of my favourite characters, including Nurse Nancy, Jenny Wren and Witch Winkle!

7 comments:

Kristy said...

I loved Twinkle too and always pick up the annuals when I see them.I only have a few though.Must look for more xxx

Calamity Tat said...

Hello my little blogging friend, lovley images... my favs too, I can remember reading a mag called Pixie, was there such a mag? yu would know..Everyweek my dad would pick it up from Liverpool street station, we lived just over the road, and I always looked forward to that.. My BF's Nan illustrated for Twinkle, true...

I am loving your blog and I am so pleased I persuaded you to join the blogging world, now we can keep up more than we normally do with the 100 e-mails we write each other :-)

Tx

Pod said...

don't te;; anyone, but i used to secretly read twinkle when i was a but a tiny pod......

Donna said...

My grandmother used to write for Twinkle in the 1970's. Larry the Lamb was one of her characters although I think there were more. I adored Twinkle. Oh I have just read Tat's comment, her BF's Nan, that's me that is! ;-)

modmom said...

oooh that's such a coincidence that i just discovered twinkle on another flickr pool + posted those belinda pictures. i LOVE the wide eyed no-nose ones the best! i hope you offer more twinkle products in your shop.

Lark said...

Thanks modmom - I still have Twinkle items available at www.larkdesigns.co.uk !

Natalie said...

oh twinkle!
I have a whole stack of 80s twinkle magazines that I have got to scan, now that you've refreshed my memory! (I completely forgot about their existence, tucked away in a box...)