Sunday, 20 May 2007


Our new kitchen has finally been ordered. Hurrah! After months of cooking in a tiny kitchen that bears a remarkable resemblance to Mrs. Brown Rabbit's kitchen (above), it will be nice to at last have enough space to make a real mess. Because that's what kitchens are for, right?

Not for me the pristine chrome and laminate kitchens that fill the home design mags here in Australia. While we sadly couldn't keep the 1960s wooden cabinets (they are just too small and narrow), the new kitchen will still have a real lived-in look to it.

And, like Mrs. Brown Rabbit's kitchen, it will probably still be completely untidy and unsafe (can you spot the 7 safety hazards in this illustration, which comes from a 1960s Tufty Annual?).

5 comments:

Calamity Tat said...

That is the kitchen of my dreams, hurrah for Tufty.. I need to have a good look and see what's going on that shouldn't.. A new kitchen is a dream for me....

Calamity Tat said...

Oh I see one, polkadots clashing with colour scheme?? oh look how handy a box of matches just when you need them!!
;-)

Meet Me at Mikes said...

Oh hurrah for your new kitchen! Can't wait to see it! My kitchen resembles a nuclear fallout shelter at the best of times! I will be coming to have a cup of tea! xx pip

Dana said...

that pic is just adorable!x

AnastasiaC said...

Oh i totaly agree
hate sleek modern kitchens - too cold for me!
give me a tough, solid, shaker style kitchen with warmth and lots of activity...make sure you share lots of pics with us!