Thursday, 21 June 2007

It's no secret that I am loopy about knitting, and I was enthralled to find that in Lancaster, in the north of England, there is a Knitted Village.


It actually comprises three knitted villages called Lesser Knitting, Lower Needle and Much Knitting-on-the-Needle, and was created by three 'Kendal Ladies' between 1993 and 1998.


The Knitted Village reminds me of the Knitted Room, a fantastic arts project based in Strathaven Nursing Home in Tasmania, where residents have recreated a 1950's room from knitted objects. There is a knitted radiogram, tea set, Elvis records, wellington boots and everything you could think of.



And a hospice in North Devon is about to launch their Knitted Gingerbread House with a similar theme. The world has gone knitting-mad, I love it!


One day I will visit the Knitted Village, it is very close to where my Mum lives, but until then you can read about it at Nothing to See Here, one of my favourite web sites and a must for anyone living in (or visiting) the UK.

Does anyone know of any other knitted rooms, villages or towns?