Wednesday, 8 August 2007

SHOW PONY!

Well, we did it - our first Australian trade show! I had a gorgeous time - the Exhibition Building in Melbourne is a stunning venue and is set in my 'old stamping ground' of Carlton. Over the five days Angela, Paul and I met so many lovely people, the whole Life in Style show had a really nice atmosphere. The Lark stand stood out for being so colourful and chaotic amongst a sea of minimalist design and we were really happy with the amount of new stockists we attracted.


Show high points: being next door neighbours with the lovely Chook Leaf duo Rie and Guthrie with their beautiful handmade children's shoes; meeting Remo Guiffré, one of my most favourite shopkeepers for many years; getting to buy lots of handmade goodies on the last day, including a huge lampshade from Bird that I had to carry home on my knee in the ute, and a Bholu critter; stuffing my face with liqourice allsorts from the giant bowl Angela brought to the stand.


Show low points: discovering that Angela's creation Miss Buttons has been ripped-off by a copycat 'designer' who was selling it to retailers at another show at the same time; getting up early every day; packing up yesterday and saying goodbye to all our lovely new friends. But I'm sure we'll do it all again next year!


Oh, and here are pictures of the cubby house I had to make over for the Unicef auction - I chose a vintage Ladybird books theme as I love them and thought their images of family life and domesticity would be well-suited for a playhouse.


I only had a couple of evenings to cover the whole house with collaged images but I was quite pleased at how it turned out (I wanted to keep it, in fact!).


6 comments:

Violet & Rose said...

Lovely, lovely, well done!

posiepatchwork said...

I just emailed Pip, who posted images about the Trade Fair too, i have been dying to see how you went - anyway, i thought you would stand out bursting with vintage colour & texture, against more minimalist stands. I often wonder how their children's bedrooms look - fit for a magazine spread or loved, lived in & full of the child's personality?? The UNICEF house looks lovely, i'd want to keep it too!! See you there next year!! Love Posie

Country House Antique Textiles said...

How gorgeous you and your stall look Allison. I'm glad you aattracted some new buyers. Boo hiss to copycat designers :-(

Love love love your UNICEF playhouse, clever old you :-)

Jenny said...

Your stand was definitely the highlight. So lovely to meet you in person. Can't wait for our Chrissy decorations... although I don't know if they will ever make it to the shop... they may accidently live at my house!

AnastasiaC said...

congrats!!!
hope it all went well!
love your cubby house - looks amazing!!id want to keep it too!

Lara said...

Great to chat to you at the Magnolia Square Market today - so nice to meet the person behind the blog! Lovely products - good luck!