Thursday, 23 August 2007

THRIFT THURSDAY


Ok, Ok, I know it's supposed to be 'Thrift Tuesday' but I was too busy on Tuesday so I went thrifing today instead, in Ballarat, while hunting for new kitchen taps.


Found quite a few goodies, including a whole lot of vintage children's books (my main passion!). These included a 1968 Tina annual (that's the year I was born!), Peter the Pup illustrated by Gilbert Delahaye, and a dozen other cuties. Also old patterns and handicraft books and some choice vintage linens. And a vintage suitcase for Angela . I found this gorgeous 1950s Junior Scrabble Set in my favourite shop, Joyce's Junkatique.


Joyce has owned her store on Main Road, Ballarat, for forty years. She used to live there too, but the junk has taken over the three-story old building to the point that she now has to live elsewhere! Joyce's 'junk' is piled up to the rafters in every room and it all looks a bit chaotic at first, until you look closely when you will see it is all quite ordered. And Joyce knows where everything is, just ask. I didn't find any kitchen taps, though.

5 comments:

three buttons said...

Oooh, lala! Lots of op shop goodies I see. Such a great score. And a big thank you for my lovely case!

posiepatchwork said...

How gorgeous, but you must credit your keen eye for the best vintage detailing i've ever known. Aren't you lucky to pick up those goodies, who cares about taps in the end?? I have a friend, in London, who can never find what she wants retail & doesn't have time to rifle through vintage stores, so visits old homes, B&B etc, & if she likes their things she offers to buy them. She has picked up antique fans from a holiday stay, nothing is sacred. She's happily say "i like your taps, can i have them??" Try that at your local old fashioned cafe, shop or hotels, ask to see their taps!! Love Posie

Anonymous said...

I have the same Little red riding hood book only in french, le petit chaperon rouge! I kept looking and looking and thinking I'd seen it before, it has a turning wheel thing doesn't it?

Jodie said...

Oh seriously, It is my goal in life to have a shop just like Joyce.
It will Jodie's junkatique, actually parts of my house already have an air of junatique about them.....

PterodromaSolandri said...

junkatique, many a fine object i've purchased from there in my youth. it's a true ballarat cultural icon that shop.