Monday, 3 September 2007

We went to Bendigo on a shopping trip last week. Paul grew up in Bendigo and as usual spent the whole day reminiscing about his boyhood/teeenage years, and bemoaning the changes that have taken place in the town in recent years. I must admit, I share his horror at the Bendigo Bank building, a huge new monstrosity that was somehow allowed to be built opposite the cathedral in the most beautiful part of town, blocking out the skyline and ruining a once-pretty view.


Fortunately, Bendigo still has many charms, including some lovely old shop buildings (one of my passions, as you know). Some have been turned into apartments or offices but a few have survived as shops. This is one of my favourites, 'Sweet Goldmine'. The window is just what a lolly shop should be - full of flashing lights and signs like 'Hey Kids, Free Gumballs'! The old awning outside proudly states that this is 'Bendigo's Biggest lolly Shop'.


I recently came across a wonderful Flicker group called Still Open , all about old shops that are still going strong, thanks to Anne of I Like. Here are a few of my favourites...






I have just started working on Christmas products for the cool online children's shop Lily & Agathe . This is a sneak preview of some of the vintage materials Tanya has sourced for her unique made-by-Lark goodies. I will be turning them into children's tops, baby shoes, hottie covers and more, watch this space... I love working with Tanya, she has her own take on everything, and it is so much fun turning her ideas and materials into pretty, one-off pieces.


Spring has arrived in Daylesford (well, sort of). I've got mixed feelings about it - I'm glad that a long cold winter is over, excited about bringing out my summer clothes and looking forward to long afternoons on the verandah with my boys. But I'm worried about the lack of rain, scared of what the drought may bring.


4 comments:

Violet & Rose said...

I'm with you on the mixed feelings. My husband (aka, the Water Man) says we need really good spring rain or we will be in dire straits. Just to make you feel really good about it. And congratulations on Saturday's Age. Lovely piece.

posiepatchwork said...

Oh, sounds like Daylesford is defrosting. How did the market go or did you chicken out?? I had a great one, albeit in 35C heat, poof, i drank lots but still felt it. While you consider drought, i have to decide on when to stop markets - outdoors & exposed, with the Monsoon season coming. Are we really in the same country?? Love Posie

Lily and Agathe said...

We had an old gentlemens shop in centre ville that closed down, sold groovy 70's tops for men.. Anyway I have some of the fittings, I will take a photo for you tomorrow, they are wicked! glass! have my lovely stock from you on them xx

Y-fighter said...

Such a shame that the New Piccadilly cafe closed down in the end. If you are interested in old London cafes I saw a fifteen minute film last year by St Etienne called 'Caff'/'Café' which was great. I don't know if they are planning to release it on a DVD any time soon though. (http://www.saintetienne.com/)

Lovely that James Smith & Sons is still going after over 170 years of business.