Wednesday, 10 October 2007

THE WEEKEND OF FOOD, THRIFT AND CRAFT


Be still, my heart!

The weekend got off to a great start when I spotted the sign for a Trash and Treasure at the local church. These sales are always an Aladdin's cave of vintage lovelies sold by local nannas, and I was not disappointed, walking away with a vintage suitcase, heaps of old patterns, nice bric-a-brac, vintage Christmas decorations and a small pile of lovely linens.




Afterwards we headed to the Daylesford Farmer's Market, which takes place the first Saturday of the month. It's only a small market but it keeps getting better and it's a great place to catch up with friends, buy great local and organic food and cluck at the newborn Spring chicks!







I am not so hot in the kitchen, but I do make a mean egg and bacon sandwich (with veggie bacon, I should add), and the eggs from our friend's farm ( Daylesford Organics ) are the yummiest and drippiest you have ever tasted!


On Sunday it was the annual Spring Festival at Trentham, a nearby town. We go to this event every year, it's held in beautiful surroundings and is really laid-back and friendly. We sampled lots of wine, chcocolate, pudding and preserves and still managed to fit in a tasty lunch (home made sweet potato soup with dukkah for us, and for the kids there were $5 packs containing vegemite sandwiches, fruit, chocolate, a drink and a bottle of bubbles, how fab!). Later we had scones with fig jam and cream.

We were entertained by local crooner Ranjit and his renditions of such old favourites as 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon Tound the Ole' Oak Tree' and there was an awesome face-painter! On the way home we stopped off at a local junk shop (my idea) and at a farm to pick up some pony poo for the veggie patch (Paul's idea).










Talking of food, the newest Lark stockist is the Little Kitchen Cookery School in North Fitzroy, Melbourne. It's a fantastic venture that I wholly support, it is Australia’s first organic cookery school designed and custom-built especially for children and teenagers. I only wish it was near to our home! The only cooking demonstration my son has received in primary school so far is Fairy Bread (non-Australians: this is white processed bread smeared with margarine and loaded with hundreds and thousands. It's a much-loved tradition and I'm not knocking it, but shouldn't we also teach our kids about real food and where it comes from?).


One of my favourite stockists, Lily & Agathe, has an interview with Lark on her website this week. I feel a bit shy mentioning this, but I promised I would. I'm part-way through making everything for Lily & Agathe's Christmas order now, and here is a sneak preview, which proves that I do actually do something other than eat and shop!...








8 comments:

AnastasiaC said...

what fab pics!!! love all your new goodies...off to read your interview!
have a fun day Alison!

LouLou said...

Hi...i was tickled when i saw your eggs cooking in the pan...check out my post "I love Sundays"....great minds.....
BTW I am jealous of all your nana finds...truely great treasures!! lou

Kirsty said...

You have been sooo busy...and had a lovely weekend too.

Lily and Agathe said...

Be still my beating heart!

arthur's circus said...

As I sit here shop sitting feeling hungry for afternoon tea, your blog has made it all the more worse. If only I could taste the scones with jam and cream. ..Your items look lovely for lily & agathe also.

scribbler said...

this is my favorite site ever! great pictures. keep up the awesome blogging.

http://vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.blogspot.com/

Country House Antique Textiles said...

What lovely vintage finds. That little chubster on the Coats pattern book looks like my Lizzy! Love the new L&A goodies, wonderful :-)

modmom said...

happy weekend!
i especially love the fun with paper cutie!