Thursday, 10 January 2008


In Australia, pretty much everything closes down in January. Summer, Christmas, long school holidays, it all happens at once and there's not much you can get done, especially when it's blindingly sunny and hot outside. I love this enforced rest, it's been nice to stay indoors playing board games, talking and reading.


I've been spending a lot of time sorting out my collection of vintage British children's books. I came across some Dean's books illustrated by Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone .


I vividly remember these books from my childhood, the illustrations are so strikingly beautiful. Janet and Anne were twins, who worked together on every drawing, illustrating over 100 books, mainly in the '60s and '70s. Their style fell out of fashion in the 1980s, but I think it is still really appealing today, especially the drawings of children at play, and the period-style clothing. My kids love these books.


If you are lucky, you can still find some of these books in thrift shops. They are not especially 'collectable', but they are so nice to look at!

2 comments:

Bec said...

oooh, I have just scrambled downstairs to retrieve my 'Deans new gift book of nursery rhymes' which I have kept from my childhood. I just had to read 'Wynken, Blynken and Nod again - I always LOVED the illustrations for this one, and they are even better looking at them now with adult eyes....***sigh*** thanks for inspiring me to dig that out. I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Cheers, Bec

angelique said...

I loved these books. I have the nursery rhymes book and another about a cat and a prince. Can't remember the title.Don't have them on hand right now. I remember pouring over their illustrations and always wanting to be able to draw like them. Cheers