Sunday, 9 March 2008

THIS IS... LOOKING OUT MY FRONT DOOR


Thanks Brooke for a great theme this week!



It was a really interesting one for me because we rarely use our front door. Our house has a return verandah and it's customary for people in the country to use the side door (or even our back kitchen door) when visiting. We've lived here for eighteen months and in that time only two people have knocked at the front door - both 'city folks'!! Also our side verandah has the best view, looking out over hilly Daylesford, and it gets the afternoon sunshine, so that's where we eat and play. But looking at these photos, I can see that the front of the house is very pretty too. I especially love the big tree outside the driveway.



I don't usually have this fabric here - I found two pairs of old linen curtains at the Mill this week, and I'm fixing them up for our living room windows!


I took these photos yesterday, as I knew that today would be unusually busy outside my front door. This weekend it's 'Chill Out' , the annual gay and lesbian festival that happens in our small town. The theme this year is 'queer as country folk' and the big parade has just started so the street outside our house is currently choc-a-bloc with parked cars. I love how quiet it is here but it's nice to see a bit more action and some new people every now and then!






Blog update (20th March) - someone else knocked at our front door today! It was Jehovah's Witnesses!

17 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Wow what a beautiful view you have all around your house.

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes said...

What a lovely contrast in your photos - your lovely serene verandahed house - and then the colour of the Parade! Such a little haven you have there, Allison!

Kathy said...

so pretty. I can't wait for the green to pop out here, thanks for sharing yours!

Stacey said...

Isn't your house lovely? Your views are so pretty, but then, Daylesford is, isn't it?
Hope you're enjoying all the colour of your weekend.

AnastasiaC said...

what a FAB verandah...do you just sit there and ponder...waving to the mailman? great door too!
hope you had fun with the festivities in Daylesford over the weekend?

Jenny said...

Lovely place to live!

starashan said...

you place looks beautiful! I love the verandah!!

boobook said...

your front door is great!! I would love a yellow front door!!
you need a tire swing hanging from that tree!!

Lily and Agathe said...

That's it! my bags are packed, I'm moving in.. first thing I want is some Turkish Delight chocolate brownies and chunks of watermelon dipped in rose syrup sitting on your verandah.. put the kettle on, arriving soon!!!

Tante Tee said...

I really love your view!!! Wish it was my view... tonight I'll post my view, and that view not make me happy....

Kyla said...

Oh, I love the big tree in the front of your house. Do you sit under there and read? Have a great sunday!
Kyla

Just Jaime said...

I'm jealous, it looks so green and warm in your world! :)

Jhoanna said...

So pretty! Love that verandah!

Cass said...

I love your verandah, I always wanted one. The festival looks great too

three buttons said...

Such a sweet little Australian Oasis you have there Allison!

Maureen said...

Oh my...I hope you have tea enough for all of us coming either thru the front door or howling out back. That veranda is too terrific.

cf

avalon8theroses said...

I was at Daylesford on Saturday, I love it..and your blog
Cheers
Tracey