Tuesday, 18 March 2008

THRIFT TUESDAY AND MAKING THINGS

We went over to Kyneton this morning to visit the lovely people at Windarring. This is an organisation set up to support adults with disabilities. They do screen-printing, photocopying and various other jobs for local businesses, and they are soon going to be helping us with all of the packaging for Lark, as well as pressing some of our badges and mirrors. I am REALLY excited about this - after four years of spending six evenings a week making and stapling and cutting and packing, Paul and I think we deserve a bit of a break! Plus it's a great organisation to be working with. I don't know what I will do with the free time, but I have a few crafty ideas up my sleeve!




Anyway, whilst in lovely Kyneton I of course had to visit some of the local oppies. I picked up a few nice things, including this huge vintage souvenir of Queensland tablecloth, a cute cake tin with 'orange cake' embossed inside, and a vintage Actil candy stripe sheet, some children's con-tact paper, oh and a new 3D Puppet Book (fancy that - see my post from yesterday!!).



My favourite op shop in Kyneton is the Salvo's shop. Aside from always having a nice selection, the assistant manager Lee-ann is a fellow vintage-lover and blogger. Sometimes Lee-ann lets me see a few things from 'out the back' and today she brought out a huge pile of old children's books that I gleefully purchased!


Lee-ann is holding a charity event in June - it is going to be a 'Vintage High Tea'. For months now she has been collecting vintage teacups and tea cosies, and cupcake toppers and all sorts of things, I can't wait! Watch this space - I'll post details when the date is confirmed.



When the boys came home from kinder and school today they decided to make Easter gifts for their friends. We had some easter cupcake cases so in each one we put a foil-wrapped egg, two mini speckled eggs and a fluffy chick (don't you love those chicks?). All tied up with a hand-drawn card and fancy ribbon.


Jules also got creative in the garden and made some 'blasters' from rubber tubing. Last night he had a dream about being in space with Liam (his best pal), so a pair of blasters is essential equipment!

6 comments:

Brierley & Clover said...

I think Easter craft is instantly cute! It's great that you're supporting Windarring - you won't know yourself with all that extra time!

I remember my friend having that contact on her school books...many years ago!

Rochelle said...

i love the sound of the vintage high tea in Kyneton - I'll be eagerly looking out for more updates on that event! Thanks for the heads up :)
and i love your op-shop finds, country towns have the best finds!

zoesquid said...

Great finds. I might just have to head up for the vintage high tea myself.

Tanya said...

Love those funky blaster things and the chickie things, very inspirational as alway Allison.. hugs xx

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes said...

Wow! Look at those blasters... way way way better than Buzz Lightyear! Loving the easterness over here! I want to come to the high tea too! Be sure to save me a seat..!

tjoyy said...

Hi there

My sister directed me to your post and I enjoyed reading your blog - I have worked with Windarring before through my previous life as the arts officer in Castlemaine and they are are a fantastic organisation and no doubt the will enjoy the opportunity to work with yourself.

I have a friend from Yinnar who has a show on at Brunswick street gallery who has done prints of cake tins just like yours on your post http://bsgart.com.au/

Her name is Jenny Peterson and the name of her show Domestic

Happy Easter

Tam