Tuesday, 18 March 2008

Week of Vintage Children's Illustration
Day Two


Again I have chosen a genre rather than a particular illustrator. I have always loved books with simple two-colour illustrations.


Often the illustrators were not credited, but you can find heaps of books published from the 1930s to the early 1960s with these beautiful drawings. Often they are annuals, with lots of short stories and puzzles, sometimes they are ABC books or colouring books.


I love the simple use of colour - red, yellow, green, teal blue, always with black, and the joyous simplicity of the images. The themes I love too - domesticity, boys and girls, pixies and fairies, nature, mysteries, special days out. I remember adoring these books as a child, they seemed very nostalgic even then so perhaps this is where my obsession with vintage childhood first started!


I also love that these books are very British. Full of squirrels, rainy days, tea shops, woodland magic and policemen on bicycles. The publishers are usually Dean's or The Children's Press, and this type of illustration also appears in lots of Enid Blyton books. I find them so inspiring!

9 comments:

just like mama said...

i love this style of drawing too, i always used to read Enid Blyton books when I was very young! My mum was a children's school librarian so I had it drummed into me from an early age!
xxjustlikemama

Tanya said...

Love! yes... Robin annuals and Pippin, they have the best illustrations.. great stuff A x

AnastasiaC said...

we have similar illustration posts today! love these!!

Cathy said...

these are my favourite illustrations, too. They remind me of my grandma's house and reading all my mum's old books.

Cass said...

I love these illustrations too

Net said...

These are so great! They look so familiar to me, I was sure I'd seen some of these books, but I think it's just the style that is so familiar. They make me think of my childhood, and reading hand-me-down books, I can smell the pages just looking at these!

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes said...

Oh these are wonderful! I love that the pages in these books are often thick and porous - not glossy and smooth like books are now! Yes... I really like the yellow one!

megsie said...

the fairy shop is my favousite. I alos have fond memories of these books as a child, particularly enid blyton:)

Sarah said...

Oh you absolutely HAVE to check out Eloise then... it's about cheeky little girl running amuck around NY or Paris or Moscow, and it's all in 2 or 3 colour illustration... You're right, it's killer :-)