Wednesday, 19 March 2008

Week of Vintage Children's Illustration
Day Three


Today I am celebrating some of my favourite book jackets from the 1950s and 1960s, all of them Elf books published by Rand-McNally.


I have written about these before, I love the pocket-sized formats, the sturdiness and thick paper of these little books (way better than Golden Books, sorry!). But most of all I love the illustrations - and the colours and typography used on the little jackets! They are all mini-artworks, imagine them as huge posters, wouldn't that be wonderful!


Pip - I promise I will start a Flickr group for these soon!

7 comments:

Sherrin said...

Wow. You have the most impressive children's book collection. You're right, those covers ARE works of art.

AnastasiaC said...

just gorgeous!! you have a FAB collection...love little Bo Peep...adorable!

eileensattic said...

ooooo... I have a collection of these too.. but you have some different ones that I don't have. I'm going to have to check out your Flickr badge. Awesome.

Bec said...

Oooh, I have a heap of these from my childhood. They are part of the few books I don't actually let my kids at, as they're very special to me :)

Net said...

You have an amazing collection! I'd love to see more of them if you start a Flickr group!

Kirsty said...

Oooh, I had Alexander Kitten when I was a kid. I LOVED it.

ingrid said...

OOOOoooo, I have just recently started hnting down the Rand McNally books. I seem to come across more of their Giant books though than the smaller ones.
These all look lovely.......more to add to my wish list.