Thursday, 20 March 2008

Week of Vintage Children's Illustration
Day Four



Today I have chosen books by Miroslav Sasek, one of my favourite illustrators. I was first introduced to M. Sasek by Anne, who runs the website ' 'This Is M. Sasek' ' as well as one of my favourite blogs, I Like .


Since then some of Sasek's books have been re-issued in new, updated editions, and they are available at Amazon and decent bookshops.


Each book tells the story of a city or country. The text is really minimalist, and the illustrations are beautiful and clever, full of funny little details.

I have managed to collect quite a few of the old hardback editions now. My children love them, even though they are a little 'quaint' in places!

11 comments:

Lily and Agathe said...

Brilliant .. i want one..

Sal said...

I'm loving all of your postings about books...Thanks!Sal;-)

Sherrin said...

wow, you have such an enviable collection of children's books! I'm particularly liking the striking workers... teach em young I say! ;o) My eldest was on picket lines with at the age of 2!!

AnastasiaC said...

love love love these!!!
i was going to showcase mine as well...gorgeous! you've got more than me...id love a set of 1st editions...that would be cool!
ive tried bidding on 'This is Greece' on ebay but always get outbidded!
they've reprinted them & are on Amazon now at US$12!!! such a great deal for big books like these!!

Bird Bath said...

They look fabulous...like that retro vibe.The cityscape is amazing.

Bec said...

I love how stylized these illustrations are. I especially like the front cover layouts - I reckon they'd make great wall posters.

Cass said...

I love these illustrations. I will be on the lookout for these books now, they are taking me back to my travelling days

Jasminé said...

Love the illustrations, very colourful and full of detail...Your posts are so interesting!
Mind if I add you to my blog list?
x

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes said...

Beautiful colours, beautiful pictures! Full of humour and tiny details! Even the typography is fabulous! You DO have the BEST collection, Allison!

Leni and Rose said...

V. cool. I discovered M. Sasek only a few days ago while googling for an image of Munich. Having lived in Munich for a while, I love the "This is Munich" illustrations! "This is Venice" is also a favourite. Great stuff!

just like mama said...

oh wow these are fabulous!! What a great and fun way to introduce children to different countries! You have a wonderful collection of books!
xx just like mama