Saturday, 22 March 2008

Week of Vintage Children's Illustration
Day Six


Today I've brought out my collection of Twinkle comics again, from the 1970s. When I grew out of Topsy and Tim (see last post), I graduated to Twinkle - every Thursday after school my comic would be delivered by the newspaper boy, and at Christmas time there was always a new Twinkle annual in my stocking - 'full of gay features, puzzles, stories and things to do'.



I adored Twinkle, and all of the regular characters in her comic, like Belinda, Jenny Wren, Nurse Nancy and Patty Pickle. And it felt so grown-up to get my own 'magazine' every week, just like my big sisters who would get Bunty and Jackie comics delivered.




I don't know much about the illustrators behind Twinkle, as they are anonymous, but their style is instantly recognisable. Donna told me her nan was one of the Twinkle illustrators, how cool!

I don't know if Twinkle was available in Australia - I did once find a huge pile of Twinkle comics at Camberwell market in Melbourne, which I added to my collection (imagine how thrilled I was!). I put all of Twinkle collection on to Flickr some time ago, have a look! Aren't the covers just so fab?




7 comments:

Lily and Agathe said...

I love flowery hat showery hat ... they are so gorgeous xx

tjoyy said...

these sorts of books could fill up an afternoon - such warm memories

Sherrin said...

oh! I love love love the first and last pictures- the covers are great!! I'm loving the birdie companion! :o)

Cass said...

I have never seen these before but the illustrations look great. I love the eyes

Bec said...

Love those big doe-like eyes. And of course, the funky clothing :)

Sharon said...

OOHH! I remember Twinkle! There was dress up paper dollies at the back!I loved them! :)

Sue said...

OMG just posted on my blog does anyone remember Twinkle, I used to have this mag delivered too and my big sister had Jackie, they don't make them like they used to, thank you for the trip down memory lane
Sue xx