Friday, 6 June 2008

DONNA'S LOVELY BUTTONS

I've had the privilege this week of working on a bespoke order for Country House Antique Textiles in the UK. Now that Lark is getting beyond the 'kitchen table' stage, I can't take on many bespoke orders, but I am still always happy to take an order from Donna as she has the world's most beautiful fabric stash and she is a delight to work with.


Her current order was for sets of carded sew-on buttons, made from her own vintage 1940s and 1950s fabrics. I made them in twenty different prints, including tiny florals, cowboys and Indians, hearts, vintage geometric prints, strawberries, and lovely old faded prints. They'll be for sale in Donna's shop soon.



And speaking of lovely prints, I was lucky enough to find these beauties today.


Two 1950s cotton eiderdowns, in gorgeous duck egg colours. The first vintage item I ever bought was an eiderdown, back in the 1980s. I was 14 and I bought it at a jumble sale for 50p. Pale blue on the bottom, and big pink cabbage roses on the top, I still have it. So I love eiderdowns and I was thrilled with these.


I found them at the Powerhouse, a vintage shop on Vincent Street in Daylesford (on the way out to Hepburn Springs) that is the town's best kept secret. The prices are really reasonable and you can rummage for hours among vintage pyrex, crochet rugs, pretty crockery and other good stuff. In the past I have found vintage school maps, glass cake stands, vintage wallpaper and even a cuckoo clock at the Powerhouse. I spotted a Figjo plate there today. The owner has the best taste - the eiderdowns are from her own collection and she was sad to part with them, I think! But I will look after them well, I already have a plan for where they will go...

10 comments:

hokey said...

They are beautiful! I was in Daylesford last weekend, but I think I'll have to go back very soon to look for the Powerhouse. Thanks for the tip!

Jodie said...

Those buttons are gorgeous and your eiderdowns are beautiful too. I am having op-shop withdrawals -might have to hit them tomorrow.

ingrid said...

Oh my! Those eiderdowns make me swoon. What absolute treasures! I never seem to find such fabulous things, maybe I need a trip to Daylesford.

The buttons are sweet too, especially the little cowboy and indian themed ones.

zoesquid said...

They are stunning (the buttons and the eiderdowns). Congratulations on both!

Donna said...

Ooooh Allison I am so excited! My buttons look beautiful, I can't wait to see them in the flesh, thank you :-)

Thank you too for your lovely lovely words. You are a joy to work with too.

Those eiderdowns are scrummy, fantastic colours, well done you x

alexandra said...

Loving the buttons and BIG LOVING THE eiderdowns. Mmm.

Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping! said...

Oh, I have to tell you that you have the loveliest blog. We seem to have many similar tastes. I just leave these buttons! Kindly, Jessica

Kids Napping? I'm Scrapping! said...

*groan* not "leave," LOVE!! I love these buttons. :O) Sorry.

Polka Dot Rabbit said...

What wonderful work!

Claire F said...

Eiderdown envy happening over here! They are stunning, and look to be great condition.