Saturday, 28 June 2008

This is... my favourite op shop find

This week's challenge is a really tough one. I am very passionate about finding vintage treasures in op shops, junk shops and on eBay. I've boasted about lots of my best finds here on my blog, but as to which is my favourite ... will it be the cuckoo clock and vintage Sylko sewing display, the 1950s eiderdowns, the Daphne Padden posters, the Twinings tea tins and Ladybird books, Woolly the Lamb, the 1950s South Seas tea set, or the Figgjo set?

Or maybe I would choose one of my pre-blog finds from when I was living in England, which include 6 boxes of large wooden vintage printer's type blocks in Huddersfield, a new Boden tea dress in Saffron Walden, a 1940s patchwork quilt in Essex, a 1970s Gaggia espresso maker found at my local tip for £4, and a beautiful old haberdashery shop counter in Norwich, with hundreds of little wooden drawers (sadly we couldn't bring this with us when we moved to Australia, I miss it every day).

I am constantly amazed by the beautiful things you can find when out thrifting, and it is hard to nominate a favourite, I love everything, so I have decided to cheat a bit and just show my best thrift finds for this week.




Lots and lots of doilies from my favourite op shop in Castlemaine. There are about 40, in different shapes and shades of white cotton, and some heavier yellow ones. I love these, and was thrilled to find such a perfect batch after being inspired earlier in the week by Posy . I washed them and hung them all up to dry in the laundry, prompting an unimpressed look from Mr. Lark, and the wry comment that 'without women, doilies would not exist'.

A pair of Beatrix Potter curtains in a vintage cotton print from the local church sale. Love these!

Giant old commercial bread tins bought on eBay. My boys had the idea to make these into Ned Kelly masks, but I don't think so!



A plasticised basket for my collection (I store fabric in these), an old ballet print and a set of linen place mats, also at the local church sale.

An old two-story doll's house cupboard, found at the Mill Market in Daylesford. I jumped for joy when I saw this - my plan is to give it a lick of paint, fit out the inside with vintage wallpaper, hang some cute curtains and use it as a display for my new knitted toys at our forthcoming trade fair. My son has already put his name on it for after the fair!



And this, my favourite and best thing at the moment. Found at the junk shop near my house, a 1940s/50s wooden beauty shop display. It was made to promote Cashmere Bouquet lipstick, rouge and face powder. The lipsticks came in intriguing shades called Dream Rose, Scandal Red, Stop Press and Orchid Red. The face powder samples are all still there in little tubes, I even tried some out (my colour is Rachel). At the back there is space for keeping the products and a little guide to what colours might suit you (Brunette = Dream Rose or Peche). I can just picture ladies in pretty dresses and gloves making a trip to Myer to choose a new Cashmere Bouquet lipstick. I have always loved old shops and shop fittings, so this is a really special find for me.


Even better, it came with some tubes of vintage beauty creams - Cashmere Bouquet Cold Cream, and Three Flowers Foundation Vanishing Cream. I am so inspired by the packaging designs from this period. I can feel a vintage beauty collection starting...

Along with these lovelies, I also found a pretty pin tin. And the woollen crochet granny blanket at the top of this post, which is currently hanging out to dry on my verandah!

When we first moved to Australia I was a little disappointed with op shops, as it is very hard to find pre-1970s things here, but I am coming to appreciate that Australian vintage has its own special appeal, and that the older beauties are still out there if you know where to look!

Thanks to Lino Forest for a great theme this week - you too can join THIS IS on Angela's Three Buttons blog!

16 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Yay, it's ok to cheat when we get to see such Yummy stuff. Love love love the Cashmere Bouquet display case(I have the matching face powder box).
xx Liz aka Betty Jo

three buttons said...

Oh My Goodness!! You have the op shop gods well and truly on your side!!!

I love the ballerina print!

Angela xx

Brierley & Clover said...

Oh, that Cashmere Bouquet display - I truly could not be more envious - that's fantastic!

Bird Bath said...

What wonderful treasures you have come across...lucky you!

Cass said...

Wow what great finds, I really need to move to Victoria!

Lily and Agathe said...

Wow... you're silent for a week and then this.. great stuff A..not sure when I'll post, was my burpday yesterday and had a big party so house a mess and me slightly !! will try later xx

Kirsty said...

So much good stuff! I love the Cashmere Boutique & the Granny rug the best.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Wow! That is a fabulous collection of finds, but the make-up display is just fabulous!

AnastasiaC said...

ohhh i knew you'd have lots to share! i too love doilies...my mum has crocheted most of mine!

teddybearswednesday said...

Such beautiful things! You are great at finding such treasures! I have a thing about doilies too, and the Peter Rabbit curtains, and the dollhouse and the nanna rug and the.... All beautiful well done!!

Shane said...

I love the crocheted yellow cloths... did you find those with the doilies too? They're so pretty!

fiona said...

Hello, I have read your blog on and off for a while now, but was surprised to see you mention Saffron Walden. I went to school there. I recently found a copy of Mary and Mark by Gilbert Delahaye on Ebay in Australia, which I haven't seen since I was four! It has all the atmosphere of 1969 inside it! You make soaps which have transfers on that I KNOW I've seen before many years ago.

Polka Dot Rabbit said...

What lovely things you have!

I'm curious how you manage having more 'feminine' tastes living with a man. My other half is grumbling about it again after I bought some plates and dishes with flowers on them....

one little acorn said...

Oh what incredible finds. The vintage fabric (Beatrice Potter) is so so sweet. And my Mum used to have one of those pin tins... she may still have it somewhere!

Maureen said...

Lord...what treasures you've found. You must have an op-shop eye!

emma said...

You are truly an op-shopping LEGEND!!
My hero...and I am so jealous.
I'm on the hunt for a plasticised basket or two. I'm yet to find one, but I'm sure before I wanted one they were EVERYWHERE.