Sunday, 17 August 2008

Coming up for air

Phew, it's been a busy couple of weeks here at Lark HQ and our crazy household! The Life in Style trade fair was exhausting but a lot of fun. I was really pleased with how our stand looked this year, and sales were fantastic and slightly alarmingly overwhelming at the same time (I guess that's a nice position to be in, better to be worrying about too many sales than too few!).

The new Meet me at Mikes range was really well-received, buyers went nuts over the vintage pendants and storybook wallets, and everyone loved Pip's display. There was much coo-ing over her vintage toy Holly Hobbie sewing machine.

Everything else was a big hit too - our new ranges from Dumpling Dynasty and Lisa Jones, my vintage knitted toys and of course the new craft kits from Sew Your Own, which have been much-anticipated.

Mr Mikes and Mr Lark did a great job of installing the stand on the first day and Pip, Angela and I manned the stand for five long days. We were glad to get back home at the end of it all, even though it means the real work of filling stacks of orders is now just beginning!

The Tiny and Small market in Melbourne, which is a new offshoot of Magnolia Square, was held last week so we rushed headlong into that, although I have to admit that I only attended one day and good ol' Angela did the other two days. This photo was taken by Katrina, who has just opened a fab new online store called Belsize Square selling gorgeous patchwork fabric, notions and hand-made goods. Do take a look!

Now amongst all this I am preparing for an upcoming trade show in London - our first one! Yikes! Angela is coming along to help me out, and to make it fun we've planned lots of shopping and sightseeing and catching up with crafty blog friends in the UK! We are especially thrilled that our little Lark stand is going to be right opposite Belle & Boo's stand at the fair, wowee, what a lovely view we will have!

If anyone out there has any tips for great shops, markets or sights in London please let me know, we don't want to miss anything! Although I am British I haven't actually spent much time in London so I'm pretty clueless.

I have also been very busy on the home front this fortnight. My son had his fifth birthday - we are lucky to live near a very cute hotel with its own private art deco cinema in the basement, and we held the party there. 14 kids watched the movie 'Cats and Dogs' and stuffed themselves with popcorn while we grown-ups were served champagne and mezze on the back row. It was so civilised, I will definitely be making this a regular spot for birthday parties!

Mr Jim the new puppy arrived in our home at last, and he is adorable. He is a big ball of chilled-out fluffy, dog-smelling goodness. The boys love him and so do we, although he has one big fault which is that he wants to eat EVERYTHING. Several plastic dinosaurs, fluffy toys and important bits of paper have been reduced to shreds and we have to watch his every move. He even managed to chew through the cardboard of a newly-delivered box of my knitted rattles and pull out a strawberry to chew and slobber on! I have renamed him... Jimmy Chew! He'd better not touch my shoes. Jim is gorgeous, though, a big softie!

It has been freezing cold here and even snowed last Sunday, enough for a snowball fight! It has been too cold to go outside and we are all quite ready for Spring now. Next week we are having the back garden landscaped, it is horrid at the moment and not much use for anything, but soon it will be a combined play space and veggie garden, in time for the warmer weather. Can't wait!

17 comments:

mellimoomoo said...

Wow! Your stall looks fantastic...well done.

Jodie said...

That big doll house looks great - I knew it would when you first posted it.
You are so super - busy . Yay for Lark !!

Jenny said...

Wow!!!Such fun and excitment for you! Everything looks so lovely! And to top it off a new puppy-so adorable-enjoy!

Bird Bath said...

How excitement :P Fair stall, London, Birthday Parties, Puppies vegie gardens phew...all sounds great!!

Kitschen Pink said...

Fantastic trade stand! What show are you doing in London and when?! How exciting. Like the poster says- hop on a bus and come to Norfolk! t.x

Kitschen Pink said...

Fantastic trade stand! What show are you doing in London and when?! How exciting. Like the poster says- hop on a bus and come to Norfolk! t.x

Tamara said...

Congratulations on such a gorgeous looking stand...and for all of the success.

It all looks positively delicious.

Enjoy your trip home.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

All I can say is 'WoW'! I just discovered your blog and am so Glad I did! It is totally delightful in Every way. I started going back a page when I got to the bottom until, can you believe? I went all the way back to your first post! I couldn't stop myself wanting to know what else you were showing. Great, great blog! I am now a new fan. I wish you much success in London! Twyla

Lily and Agathe said...

Well see you there then Missus... so excited, can't wait xx

Emily said...

ohh…I'm exhausted just hearing about everything you've been up to. I can only guess how much work those big shows must be. Glad everything went well. Cute dog! Give him time…he'll get over the chewing thing eventually!
Take care!
Emily

Hoochie Coochie said...

Congratulations on making through 5 days of the trade show!! It all just looks so beautiful, I only wish I could buy everything...
xx sharaine

AnastasiaC said...

the stall looks amazing - so glad to hear it all went well!!!
Mr Jim looks adorable...

iRiS said...

OMG I was just about to comment and ask if that was a hollie hobby sewing machine and then read it was

my older sis had one of those when we were lil awwww the memories
some good some bad hahaaha

I remember crying for a week when she got the sewing machine! she always got the best gifts from barbies canopy bed to clogs at christmas hahahahaha
my kids are always getting the smae things even though they are the opposite sex hahahaha

Noël said...

wow, which london show will you be at? is it the knitting and stitching show at alexandra palace? in oct., or something sooner? i would love a chance to browse your gorgeous stuff in person - only recently discoverd the blog.

iRiS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
iRiS said...

ooo I asked my sis about her Hollie Hobby sewing machine and yippee she still has it!
http://ideyspidey.blogspot.com/2008/08/oh-my-my-sisters-vintage-hollie-hobby.html
xox

London Mummy said...

Hey, am planning on attending Top Drawer so will definitely pop by your stand :)

What kind of things do you want to do, place to go see whilst here in London? If you have any energy left, that is after the fair!