Saturday, 18 October 2008

Top To Toe

A new exhibition at the V&A Museum of Childhood in London: TOP TO TOE: FASHION FOR KIDS, until April 2009


"Drawing from the Museum's outstanding collection, Top to Toe explores the fascinating world of children's clothing - separating the myths from the realities.

Developments in the 'form and function' of clothing are represented through a number of themes: childhood milestones; changing fashions over time; why fashions change and who drives this; and practical versus impractical clothes. Would you like to wear an 1880s bustle making the back of your skirt stick out? Or how about wearing a boy's dress?

Items on show include a stunning 1700s wrapping gown, an 1800s boy's hat, a muff made of peacock feathers and the popular 1970s 'snorkel' parka coat."

Oh, I would so love to go to this exhibition and see the snorkel, and some vintage Clothkits and other children's outfits from history!



3 comments:

Tara said...

Oh wow, that looks like an amazing exhibition! I'd love for it to come to the states!

Kitschen Pink said...

Oh I love those green sandals. I used to get a pair like that every year - always a different bright colour, except the mournful year that they only had brown in my size - I had mortified feet for a whole summer. Sadly it is so hard to find basic colourful footwear for children- especially boys. It's all army fatigues and black or navy once they turn 4. Horrid! t.x

Swift Jan said...

Oh how beautiful!

I LOVE that Mr Men skirt! Brings back so many memories. I think I had sheets like that!