Sunday, 9 November 2008

Thought I would share some lovely vintage fabrics that have recently been given to me by three lovely friends...



These cute pieces came to me from a friend in England. I will be turning them into Christmas gifts for some of the markets I have coming up soon.


I have about 2 metres of this original 1950s border print. It was given to me by the mother of the chap who is landscaping our garden. She wouldn't accept any payment for it but has made me promise that I will show her whatever it is I end up making with it (eek, pressure, she is a skilled quilter!). I'm guessing the fabric was produced for the British coronation. the illustrations are superb. I don't know what to make with this - any suggestions?






And this gorgeous stash was sent to me by Donna in the UK as a swap - swapping is the best, isn't it? I especially asked Donna for some small-scale prints and vintage trims from her shop to dress my rabbits and she has come up trumps, even including some boyish paisleys for Mr Rabbit. The next batch of rabbits is going to be very well-dressed!

13 comments:

Julie said...

beautiful selection of fabrics and very dapper rabbits.

Lily and Agathe said...

Gorgeous ....what are you making with the fabrics for the markets, would love to know xx

trashalou said...

absolutely no pressure with that piece of fabric then!

Kitschen Pink said...

tablecloth edging, draught excluder, bed valance, skirt, pinny, pelmet, lampshade..... scrummy scrummy things! Swaps are good, but hand-me-downs are stupendous! I can't even begin to choose which I love most. There are at least 6! t.x

lupinbunny said...

I have instructions for a made-to-fit pleated 1950s skirt (Enid Gilchrist pattern) I could send instructions for if you'd like. I've made one and the pattern works well, and would suit a border print so well. You are supposed to use about 3m in the skirt, but I found that a LOT. 2m would still work (I made a half-finished muslin with 2).

And if you wanted to send me that bicycle print because of your undying gratitude, that would be fine too! :P

Donna said...

Lovely lovely fabrics. Can't wait to see what you create with them. I love the skirt idea for the border print. It would be a really original piece of clothing and a little piece of Britain too!

funkymonkey said...

Lovely fabrics. Lucky you receiving those mischievous looking rabbits.

Ragged Roses said...

Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I love all your fabrics, isn't it wonderful when people give you fabric! The border fabric is great, how about lampshades? Have fun with all that material

Gingham and Flowers said...

You've got some gorgeous fabrics there. I especially love the cute trims Donna sent you. Look forward to seeing what you do with the Coronation fabric.

Swift Jan said...

oh they ARE lovely!!

Top bird said...

Wow, brilliant swaps. I love the marching soldiers print - very British, indeed. xx

The Shopping Sherpa said...

That corination border print would make fabulous full length butchers style aprons or notebook covers for large notebooks...

Dizzy Little Kingdom said...

The vintage fabric with the kingdom border is to die for. Can't wait to see what you do with it!