Friday, 20 March 2009

Ooh, lovely...

I have come over all English this week.

The screenprint I ordered from Mr PS for our kitchen arrived.



I also ordered these two mugs. All of us at Lark HQ are tea drinkers (Irish breakfast, white, no sugar). And two of us are English, so I love everything from this range. Mr PS is based in sunny Manchester, England, have a look at their Etsy shop, there are lots more lovelies.

Then I spotted this at Anne's blog. Hwayoungjung has put together a Flickr set of great drawings of iconic British products, with a description of each one. These are some of my favourites. I have a special fondness for Newcastle Brown Ale as I went to Uni in Newcastle and it's also where I met Paul and where we did all our 'courting'.


Angel Delight - for those of you who don't know, this is an instant-dessert mix. You put the sachet of powder in a food mixer with some milk and it instantly whips up into a delicious frothy desert. Well, it seemed delicious when I was 8. We used to beg our parents for the Butterscotch flavour, and I have a real memory of my big sister getting her lovely long dark hair all tangled up in one of the beaters on the electric mixer and my mum having to cut it off. We still ate the Angel Delight! Recently, I bought a pack to see if it was as good as I remembered and, I have to admit, I found it completely horrid, sickly sweet and claggy. Even my kids wouldn't eat it, and that is a miracle considering how much sugar this stuff contains!

Mr Kipling's French Fancies. Another super-sweet concotion from England, but these little lovelies are STILL delicious and I love it when someone sends me a box over. I am very partial.

Tate & Lyle's Golden Syrup. The only one for me. I'm sorry, but Aussie syrup literally pales in comparison. A bowl of milky porride drizzed with Tate & Lyle is my favourite breakfast. The vintage style of the tins is a plus too. I know you can get syrup in convenient squirty containers now but I still prefer dipping in a teaspoon and stirring it into my porridge! I have never seen my favourite golden syrup in an Aussie supermarket so I buy my supplies online here.

And still with the English theme, here is my new knitted tea set, available in the shop. I have wanted to design a tea set for ages, to go with the knitted biscuits and cakes, but rather than go all girly I thought it should reflect proper British crockery, so I made a Brown Betty teapot and Cornish Ware mugs, with a matching milk jug and sugar bowl.

The Brown Betty is one of the original English teapot designs, from the 17th century, and is still made in Stoke-On-Trent with local clay. It's a classic and makes great tea. Cornish Ware dates back to the 1920s and is, I think, the nicest 'everyday' crockery ever produced.

3 comments:

lupinbunny said...

Used to get Tate & Lyle golden syrup in Coles when I was a kid (late eighties, early nineties), but I've not seen it for years. I loved the tin with the inexplicably dead lion on it. There's a reason for the fly-blown lion, some gorgeous complex Victorian parable, I think.

Hen said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I can't stand Angel Delight though it was pretty much a childhood staple. Fondant Fancies, now that's another thing, yum yum. Despite being an avid baker, this is one of those products that alhtough it comes out of a box/factory, it's one of those things that can't be beaten at home. Waitrose do a pretty good version on their bakery stand which has a layer of jam on top of the sponge inside. Golden Syrup, oh yes, divine, especially on porridge like you say. However, I must admit I find the squeezy bottles handy (if not pretty to look at) though they are harder to find in our supermarkets than the tins. I too went to uni in Newcastle but can't stand the Brown Stuff!

gingerwine said...

Lovely screenprints - really nice to see some different vintagey looking things - if you know what I mean!!

samxx