Wednesday, 1 April 2009

I Want To Make A Dormouse House!

Could this be the sweetest craft project ever? I have been longing to make it since I came across it in a vintage craft book a few months ago, but I will probably never get around to it, so I'm sharing the pictures here instead!

It is a zip-up tree-trunk dormouse house.

Inside there is a little family of dormice living happily. The pattern includes instructions for everything, including 'Home Sweet Home' sampler, plaited rug, log basket, toasting fork, toadstools, snails, window boxes , mugs of cocoa, toast and lots of other mini delights.

The book is called 'Favourite Toys' by Jean Greenhowe. If anybody is clever enough to have a go at making this gorgeous house I would love to see it! Did you know that 'dormouse' comes from the Latin word 'dormir' - to sleep, as they can sleep happily throughout the winter in their own snug nest built into a hollow tree, just like this one. I wish I was a dormouse living in this cosy house with my family and my mug of cocoa!

15 comments:

Melissa Ellen said...

I want one!!!!

one little acorn said...

How cute is this? Imagine getting that as a little girl. Imagine getting it now... Creative people continue to just blow me away!
Thanks for sharing.

Sheri Howard said...

That is so cute. My friend in England makes mice like that and sews them all by hand. Go for it!

littlechrissy said...

That is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen.

Alison said...

This is beautiful. My daughter had something similar given to her when she was little but it was a commercial one not hand made. This is so much nicer I may just have to make one for my granddaughter when she is a little older.

Cass said...

That is so gorgeous

Bec @ honi design said...

Oh my!! That is simply wonderful!! I would LOVE to be clever enough to make this!! WOW!!

Your little "Latin" fact just cleared up something for me - it all sense now, why the mouse in Alice in Wonderland always falls asleep!!

XUE said...

We love dollhouses. I don't think I could make this adorable one but we have made one from a shoebox.

cata said...

OH! I love doll houses!!
This is absolutely adorable.
Thanks for sahring.
Regards from Tuscany.
Cata

Jodie said...

I wish I could live in a doormouse house like that!

Gigi said...

That is the cutest thing! My little granddaughter & I have a 'thing' for dormice (or is it dormouses ;-). They're just so cute and cuddly looking. I must find this book!
Thanks for sharing.

Georganna

vanessa said...

That is so sweet :)
There are a couple of etsy ladies who make very cute little forest type cavey animal lands from felt with little trees and things...so gorgeous to be that clever :)

Alison said...

Hi, I can't forget about this little dormouse house. I have googled the title of the book and have come up with 2 titles, one is 'favourite toys' and the other is 'favourite dolls and toys' but it doesn't give a list of what toys are included. You wouldn't mind letting me know which it is would you. Sorry to be cheeky!

Lark said...

Hi Alison, it is called 'Favourite Toys' only, there is a picture of a rag doll on the front! x

Lenna Green of Stitching Cow said...

This is adorable, some people are so creative.