Thursday, 7 May 2009

Book Club

Last night was Book Club night. The book under discussion was Unpolished Gems by Alice Pung. It was an interesting book, and it sparked off some lively discussions about nationality and family relationships, but no-one in the group really loved it.

We did love the tea and cakes though. This year our group has been meeting at The Book Barn next to Lake Daylesford. It's a sweet little shop and café and the owner opens it up specially for us once a month. He lights the wood fire and sets the tables out in a circle for us, then makes tea and cakes before popping home to watch Spicks and Specks and leaving us to it! It's very cosy and I even take my favourite granny blanket along to get really snug.



If you are in Daylesford do visit The Book Barn - the lake is lovely for a short walk, and there is a children's playground and greedy ducks to feed too!

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I love book stores like that! they have so much more character then the huge chain book stores. What a nice owner :D

Moonspinner said...

Oh I've been to the book barn, I just love book stores, especially secondhand ones. Somewhat of a hobby ... some say obsession!

Cass said...

That sounds like a wonderful shop and a great place to have a book club

meglet said...

I joined a book club when I moved to Ballarat and it was one of the best moves I've made. We meet monthly and take turns hosting at our homes. Our is run very differently to most though, I'll have to do a post on it I think!

Jennifer Barker said...

oooohhh how absolutely delightful. LOVE IT!! love the idea of him setting it all up & then going home for spicks n specks :)

if i had magic shoes i would pop down ...

AnastasiaC said...

the 'book barn' looks like my kind of place!

Lynda said...

You know, I found that book a bit disappointing as well.

That book barn sounds good, love the granny rug idea! Have rug, can travel!

.girl ferment. said...

looks like a great setting