Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Crafty Lady

I was at the hairdressers this afternoon and, whilst waiting for the stylist, I had a lovely chat with a lady who told me that she is 92. Ninety-two, imagine that! Within a few minutes we had established a connection - her great-grandson was friends with my son in pre-school. This happens all the time in Daylesford, whenever you meet someone you quickly find that you can 'place' people, and I think it is the thing I love best about living in a country town. It's a bit like blogging really, it cuts through all the formal introductions and niceties and you feel an immediate sense of trust and belonging. Then after a few more minutes of chatting she revealed that she is a passionate crafter too - cross-stitch is her speciality although she has tried everything. Heaven! We could have chatted all day but I needed a trim and my new friend was getting a perm.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Kind of like that time a few years ago when I was reading a blog aboout a Mother preparing for her son's circus party, only to then discover that my daughter was invited to that party and you were the Mum. XX

sarah-jane down the lane said...

One of my dearest favourite people in the world is Dottie who wont thank me for telling you her age but lets just say she is almost double me! I simply adore her, she is so funny, wise and kind. I love to meet new friends! love Sarah x

dorothybills said...

That's what I love about living in a small town too!

Cat said...

What a lovely "random" encounter...this story made me smile!

Meg said...

Right place, right time. I love stories like this.

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

That sounds so lovely. In the area I live in Sydney there aren't a lot of elderly people visible sadly. I really miss seeing old people in the street. I hope my daughter doesn't grow up thinking everybody is an age of up to fifty or sixty! xx

Linda said...

such a lovely post, and your new shop is shaping up fast. I LOVE the little toy kitchen dresser too

Eguchi Family said...

Hi Allison
I just love that town. And as you know, having lived and travelled all over the world, most places do not have that friendly relaxed and open atmosphere. It is priceless.
Ali