Friday, 24 July 2009

Ugly duckling...

One day this old shed in the centre of town that currently houses a vintage fire engine will be our new studio and workspace.

And one day this ugly corner will be a beautiful little shop.

Yes, we are moving! When I first started my own craft business four years ago, I rented a room in a beautiful old school in Cambridge, overlooking a duck pond, a red telephone box and students cycling to and from the colleges. It was just like a Richard Curtis film. This picture of Katie (my friend Paula's daughter) in an early Lark creation was taken outside. I would sneak out from my job at lunchtimes and go into my lovely room to dream up ideas. Even better, my little boy was at creche in the room below, so I could pop in to see him too!

When we moved to Australia we decided to live in the country and make Lark a full-time family business so we found a house with space for an office and studio. It has been nice to work from home, but after three years I am, to be honest, a bit tired of it and I feel that we need to gain some personal distance from Lark. So we have been waiting for the prefect premises to come along and finally they have!

So from next month we will be working from this old warehouse in Daylesford, and (gasp!) in September we will be opening a little shop in one corner of the warehouse where we can welcome visitors and customers. As well as Lark goodness, we will be selling work by local designer-makers and a small group of friends from Melbourne and further afield whose work I love. I hope you will visit us when it is open.

But there is much work to be done! I have to turn this unloved old space into something pretty! At first I was daunted by this task, but then I remembered our trip to Tokyo, and all the beautiful little shops and art galleries that I found tucked away in unlikely buildings, like this one. We are going to make something utterly lovely here... I will post some pictures of our progress.

31 comments:

The Observer said...

I'm getting excited for you! I'm sure it will make a lovely edition to the town

kitty said...

congratulations!
What an awesome space. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Swift Jan said...

Allison what a treasure! DO you get to keep the fire engine?hehe

I look forawrd to watching the progress, and you never know... one day I may just get to Daylesford to check it out!

Kirsty said...

So exciting! What a wonderful space & what gorgeous plans you have.

Jenni said...

very, very exciting.

Meg said...

Great news!! How exciting!! Congratulations to you (and us)! xx

susieqiloveyou said...

Very exciting. I look forward to seeing the progress

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

How lovely that we can follow along and watch that ugly duckling evolve into the Lark swan it will become! September 200? Boy you are going to be busy but I know already it will be beautiful xx

Cath from chunkychooky said...

Do you get to keep that beautiful old fire engine?!!! I love it!

dorothybills said...

Wow that is so exciting!! I too have a 'dream' of opening my own little shop one day, I may have to pick your brain! Hope it all goes well. Eleesa

CurlyPops said...

How exciting. The shop will be amazing.... I can't wait to go shopping on my next trip to Daylesford.

Polka Dot Rabbit said...

Ooh how exciting! I'm booked in to stay in Daylesford in September :))

Mookah said...

Congratulations & how exciting! Can't wait to follow the transformation and maybe a trip up to check it out one day. Gives me hope that my dream too can become a reality one day...

Kickcan and Conkers said...

Gosh, this is so inspiring! Here am I embarking on a career change, setting up my new business and dreaming of finding a wonderful space to work and sell in...and you've done it all in 4 years! Well Done Allison, I'm really pleased for you. Lot's and lot's of hard work ahead but I'm sure you'll make it beautiful.

Jodie said...

Allison I am so excited for you - what a wonderful new (slightly scary) adventure.

mini macs said...

WOW! Congratulations! Can't wait to see photos of the progress - me and the hubby and the kids have been meaning to pop down to Daylesford, and now we have more of a reason to! Keep us posted when the shop is up and running! X

Joanne said...

Converted warehouses can make MUCH more interesting shops than other commercial premises. As you clearly have oodles of taste, its going to be wonderful!

lisa tilse said...

Wow Allison, that is SO exciting! The space looks fantastic - I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Anna said...

wow that is so exciting.. hopefully i'll be able to come to the store when we are in vic at christmas time. yay!

oscarmacoscar said...

Congratulations! What a great space. I cant wait to visit when you open.

rabbit and the duck said...

Oh my god, how exciting!! I can't wait to come and visit on my next trip up to Daylesford. Congratulations!

Violet and Rose said...

Oooh, that looks very exciting!

I'm sure you will be a major drawcard in Daylesford. Speaking of, we have a few days booked at the end of September ... Not that I would want to put you under any pressure or anything!

Best of luck.

Handmade in Israel said...

How wonderful! Wishing you the very best of luck. You are doing what many of us dream of!

The Toy Society said...

Congratulations on finding such an inspiring space, it looks like it was well worth the wait. Can't wait to see how you transform it!

Megan.K. said...

That's such an exciting development for you! I can already imagine the beautiful and successful studio and shop you will create Allison.

JazyJae's said...

I'll be visiting during my trip to Melbourne in the last week of September.So excited!

messenger said...

Congratulations, it sounds like a very exciting step for lots of reasons. Good luck and I'll look fwd to hearing about the progress. Lovely blog...

katef said...

Oh wow how exciting!
I can add another good reason to road trip over the ridge in spring!!!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful. One day I might be able to come and visit!

AnastasiaC said...

oh wow Allison - its going to be wonderful and I'll have to visit Daylesford one day and pop by ...Congrats!! cant wait to see and hear more about your progress!

Spin Spin said...

Looks like the shop is coming along nicely (in your more recent posts!) and can't wait until it's all ready - have been planning a visit to the area for a while, can't wait! And what inspiration - the Japanese shop looks so gorgeous :)