Saturday, 9 January 2010

Floral Heaven

Carpet showrooms are pretty boring, aren't they? I found myself trapped in one the other day. While Paul was discussing laying techniques with the owner and the boys sat quietly for once, playing games on our iPhones, I wandered among the faux-marble lino, fake timber flooring and dull carpet samples. Then I spotted this beauty - the prettiest carpet I have ever seen! Just like my nan used to have in her living room, I think. Isn't it stunning?

Even though I generally avoid carpets as I'm allergic to dust mites, I would happily have this beauty in my home. I stood fondling the carpet and dreamed of how it would look in a whole room - a very small one, I might add, as it's Axminster and costs $330 a linear (yes, linear) metre! Well, a person can dream, can't they?

Time to turn my mind to something more affordable. This week I have also fallen in love with the new fabric line from Amy Butler called (appropriately) Love.

It has a more English feel than her previous collections, which probably explains its appeal to me. I am about to go shopping for this Liverpool Dress pattern. Isn't it gorgeous? And as Liverpool is my home town, it is very appropriate for me.

I'm going to make it in the same fabric as on the pattern but probably in the midnight blue version.

I also love these Water Bouquet prints from the same collection - might have to add these to my stash!


9 comments:

beccasauras said...

That is exactly the style of dress I want for work this year! I could even get away with it in Amy Butler print, yum! Can't wait to see it. And the carept is beautiful.

posiepatchwork said...

Gorgeous carpet Allison, wow, pricey. My grandmother (in Surrey) had the same style, must have been a beautiful era to decorate.
I can assure you, these Amy Butler prints are divine, even prettier in real life & don't stop there, she has a bright upholstery range too. All beautiful as only Amy can nail those designs.
Happy flowers, love Posie

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Love the carpet and can't wait to see what you create with the Amy Butler pattern. Lovely. One day I'm going to open that Cath Kidston SEW book I bought and actually attempt to make something. xx

Alison said...

That carpet is fabulous, I'd love a piece to be made into a rug, however with that price, it will only be in my dreams. Fabrics are also lovely.

Violet and Rose said...

Ooh Allison, what a gorgeous, cheery post. I looked at that carpet range too and thought all my dreams had come true. Until I saw the price. XX

Susan L (lily40au) said...

Is there anything Amy Butler doesn't do well? Love the fabric.

Handmade in Israel said...

I love that dress! Very cute. Can't wait to see your version of it. Liverpool huh? I was a student there and LOVED the place!

renae said...

Isn't the Amy Butler just gorgeous! I can't wait to get my hands on some.

I love that carpet!

lacepetticoat said...

The Axminster is beautiful! It looks exactly like the one we had in the living room when I was a kid, except ours was threadbare. We moved into a really old house and the carpet was definitely a bonus, despite its condition! If only such beautiful carpets were common (and affordable) these days.