Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Goodbye, old friend

Our mixer has died. Our beautiful, beloved 1970s Kenwood Chef, which you can see above in its glory days. It's a family heirloom and we have loved it and looked after it over the years, buying it all sorts of lovely accessories like a wheat mill and a liquidiser. Nothing makes bread and cakes like it - I've tried a vintage Sunbeam (too noisy), an expensive new Magimix (blah)! It has served us so well, but last weekend someone (ahem) covered it with a teatowel so that icing sugar wouldn't spray out everywhere and she turned away for a second and the tea towel got caught up in the beaters and the gears ground to a halt. We're going to try and get it fixed somehow, but for the moment I am mixer-less.

Unlike my friend Ro who is famed in Daylesford for her cakes. She has this beautiful old Kenwood that is in super condition. Look at it - it even has a special cover so that you don't need to cover it with a tea towel(!). But Ro doesn't use it for her much-admired cakes, she makes them by hand. So this morning, with another friend and her kids coming over to play, and an urge to make butterfly cakes, I realised I would have to mix the cakes and whip cream by hand. It was fun, but gee my arm hurts. I don't think I'll be doing this permanently!

I used Bee's homemade jam with the whipped cream.

Here is the finished result. They tasted pretty good (not that I can eat many as I am back on my weight watching at last).

These colourful cups have made up a little bit for the demise of the Kenwood! And because they are melamine I can just let the kids serve themselves - we have four boys over at the moment, it''s a bit crazy!

13 comments:

Estelle said...

I really hope you can have the gears replaced. I've got an old Sunbeam myself but my grandmothers Kenwood still gets weekly use in my parents house and it has never broken down in 40+ years of use! Good Luck!

bee said...

Awww :( I remember my mum's old Kenwood - exactly like yours! I was lucky enough to receive a sexy new Kitchenaid mixer (cherry red mmm!) when I moved out, and I have to tell you it's BETTER than the Kenwood... sorry I don't wanna bag the Kenwood (they are fab mixers) but if you have to buy a new machine, the Kitchenaid is expensive but worth EVERY penny! Good job hand-whipping everything though, the cakes look scrummy! Enjoy the jam :)

Margarita said...

I have the same mixer. It was my mum's and while the jug/blender spinner thing broke years ago and it is noisy, she's still otherwise going strong. Love that bowl cover! Wish I had one too

sarah barnett said...

I know how you feel. I've been using my Gran's gorgeous old
Sunbeam for the past 15 years and it, quite literally, blew up. It was such a stylish looking thing too. :(

Little Ted Canvas said...

I hore your mixer is repairable. We use this tiny litlle beater, but I just can't bring myself to replace it, it was hubby's grandmothers.

Hen said...

My mum has this very same mixer. I remember her having it all through my childhood, I'd sit up on the worktop and "help" make the cakes. She still has it and uses it now. I see them at car boot sales over here so you'll need to make a visit and bring an empty suitcase!
Hen x

Cheeky Little Monsters said...

Oh how sad about the mixer. I have a spare vintage mixmaster you can have if you like? We got a Kitchenaid for our engagement.. I can highly recommend it!

oscarmacoscar said...

I've always wanted a Kitchen Aid since moving out of home but they were always a bit pricey! Only last fortnight I brought myself a Breville Platinum. If you cant get the Kenwood fixed I would highly recommend one. So much quieter than mums Kenwood and 1/4 of the price of a Kitchen Aid.

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh, i'm a KitchenAid fan, love it, use it all the time, but my mother was a Sunbeam mummy. I loved the celery looking turner which made the bowl spin. The rest of my family swears by Kenwood though. Love Posie

messyfish said...

oh so sad about you old fav passing away. It happens to the best of them! Cuisine Art. Try to get a demo. I believe they are the best. It's all about the motor power. The design of kitchen aid is nice but Cuisine Art is the best...( belive me I bake for a living..)

Not Perfect But Nice said...

I agree this is the right time to get a mixer KitchenAid so cute in pink or pale blue or orange or mint green or vanilla or red or black.................. Not even Kenwood can beat the excellent quality and good looks of the KITCHENAID!!!!!! I'm waiting for my old mixer to die so I can get one!!!! Death by teatowel.........

emma.seaton said...

My mum has this mixer too, and I have a newer version.. although I drool every time I walk past a Kitchenaid because they're just so pretty! The kenwood is a great workhorse though, and my mum's just lent me her mincer, sausage maker, and juicer and they all fit even though there's probably 25years between the two machines!

I have the Rice cups too in 6 different colours - I want the whole set really. I have tea plates too in colours to match the cups, and the little teaspoons... sigh, I love them all!! And they get used every singe day.

Roostew said...

Hello Allison - there is a fellow in Melbourne who fixes vintage mixers - Kenwoods and Sunbeams. I found him through ebay a couple of years ago as he sells reconditioned mixers on ebay. His name is Neville and his user name is ns668245. I hope this helps. He is still selling on ebay so you may be able to contact him through that.