Thursday, 6 May 2010

Mini-break

Paul and I recently escaped from the kids for a few days to celebrate a BIG anniversary and both our birthdays together in Melbourne. We had an excellent time, the highlight being a very special night out at Momo, Greg Malouf's restaurant. Mmmmmm. We spent lots of time browsing exhibitions, shopping at little specialty shops and just hanging out, it was the best. How good is it just to get a breakfast in peace once in a while? We don't have any relatives around to help with childcare, so this was really the first time we've been away on our own in nine years, wow!






We packed a lot of things into a short time, as you can see, these are just a few of them.



When we got back, our lovely friend who had been looking after the kids had made me a birthday cake! Yay for good pals!


Of course, I couldn't go away without doing a bit of shopping. I bought a huge amount of spotty cupcake cases for my collection (ahem), and our family's favourite chocolate frogs from Haigh's.

I finally made it into Cottage Industry and had a long chat with Pen. You must go to her store next time you are in Melbourne, it is one of the best I have ever visited, every single thing here makes me smile and the quality of her handmade wares is super-good. I bought this re-made vintage patchwork cushion and some lovely light denim trousers with a sweet trim, I have put these away until the weather is warmer. Brrrr.


In another shop I bought this lovely red wicker case, which contains a mini tea set. The tiny dotty china pieces are going into the Lark play kitchen, because it is the basket that I was actually after, I am going to use it as a pretty sewing basket, hee hee!



This exhibition at the State Library was right up my street, go and see it if you're in Melbourne, it's all about the history of shopping, department stores and the rise of shopping centres, it is really interesting.

And here is the lucky boy whose mum and dad went on holiday and brought him back (amongst other things) a potato gun, yee-hah!

16 comments:

Emma said...

Hi, I have recently discovered your blog and it is just gorgeous! We are just about to go on holidays so this fantastic entry is very timely. I would also love to know where you got the cup cake cases and the potato gun(my boys would love one!) from. Emma

Emma said...

Sorry... holiday is to Melbourne!

Little Ted Canvas said...

Looks like you had a lovely little break. It's so nice to have that special time to yourselves occasionally...Love your new sewing basket. Happy Birthday!

Cass said...

I want to know where you got those cupcake cases too. That might be a stop for me next week when I am down there

rabbit and the duck said...

I too need some of those cupcake cases and would love to know where you found them : )

Lark said...

Hi girls, the cases are from Cake Deco. It's at Shop 7, Port Phillip Arcade, 232 Flinders St. One of the little lanes off Flinders Street. It's an awesome shop, stuffed with everything you could possibly need for baking. They have a website at www.cakedeco.com.au but it's best if you can get into the shop, it has much more stuff! It's opposite an amazing stamp shop, and stuffed between some good Asian restaurants too, if you need to get a cheap lunch. x

Justine de Jonge said...

I've been dying to get to 'Til You Drop. I have a postcard on my fridge to remind me everyday. I'll get there soon and somehow!

Buttons by Lou Lou said...

Sounds like a great weekend and SO amazing after 9 years! I dream about a weekend away and I know I will get there one day. I must admit I'm hoping less than 9 years - but it has already been 4! I am also a bit obsessed with cupcake wrappers. I get some from a little shop at the Preston Market. My oldest boy also just got a potato shooter just the same - LOVES it. It shoots such a long way - pretty cool!

pilgrim said...

wow!! breakfast alone sounds just as good as the rest of your treasures!! mmmm haighs is the best. i grew up 'round the corner from their adelaide factory and my dad was the head chocolatier there for a time.

glad you enjoyed your break!

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Happy Anniversary and Birthdays to both you and Paul. We don't have relatives near to help either (we do have one set but they are very elderly so we can't impose too much on them) That's a lovely friend you have there. I also love the red sewing case. xx

SadieandLance said...

What a lovely break! I love Pene's Cottage, it's such a treat!

And that cake decorating shop is incredible. A friend of mine used to live just near there and I spent so much time in that shop on the way to his place!

mini macs said...

sounds just lovely!!

If it's not too much of a secret, where did you get that gorgeous tea set & wicker basket from?

Posie Patchwork said...

Happy birthdays & anniversary, how exciting!! My children want potato guns, OH i can imagine the mischeif they'll get into. Have a lovely weekend back in reality of home life & parenting, spoilt on mother's day, love Posie

Lark said...

Hi Mini Macs, it's from T2! Allison x

Time Worn Style said...

You have inspired me to get into melbourne more often, although we are out of towners, its still only about and hour away so not too far for day really!
alicia

Jane said...

Looks like you had a wonderful break! where did you get those fabulous cupcake cases? I'm from Melbourne and feel a little embarrased that you found so many amazing places I've never seen before!