Sunday, 6 June 2010

The shed project - fabric sort-out

I am hoping to turn one of the old Victorian shed buildings in our garden into a summerhouse/den in time for spring. The first phase was to clear out the shed. It was mostly full of op shop bits and pieces that I have not found a place for in our house yet, and also it was home to my fabric stash, which you can see in these boxes and baskets (excuse Jim snooping around).

I have been collecting vintage fabric since I was a teenager, and although I have used a lot of it to make things for Lark and to decorate our house, I still have 16 huge IKEA boxes of fabric that were taking up half the shed. A year or so ago I got really organised and sorted my fabric by type - small florals, terry towelling, novelty prints, oilcloth, corduroy etc. so this time it was just a matter of tidying up the boxes a bit and sorting out the fabrics I've collected over the past year.

Mostly I collect vintage fabrics from the 1940s through to 1970s but I also have a lot of Cath Kidston and Japanese fabrics that I couldn't resist buying, plus also new polka dots and check fabrics that go so well with vintage fabrics.

I really love faux patchwork cotton prints.

And I seem to have acquired a huge collection of vintage children's prints, three whole boxes are full of these!




Ah, lovely Liberty prints. One day I would love to have a craft room big enough to have all my fabric out on display but it is just not possible at the moment. The boxes have gone off to be stored somewhere nice. This morning I've cleaned out the shed ready to start prettying it up. I will post some photos of the shed once I get started on the next phase.

13 comments:

Daneve said...

Wow what heaven!! Look at your collection!!! looking forward to seeing the next phase..xo
Daneve

Beky said...

Nothing like a good declutter. Have fun.

JenMeister said...

Hahaha, nice! I have a doona cover made from that alphabet fabric, from when I was a kid :)

Swift Jan said...

My o my! Feel like sharing?

pilgrim said...

ooh so many faaaabrics! i had a pillow case of the alphabet fabric, i feel all snuggly after seeing it again after all these years.

i'm very impressed at your organization!

Jodie said...

such a beautiful collection.

MonetPaisley said...

I've got to get me some more containers, my stash has overflowed into garbage bags recently.

Megan said...

Wow you do have some beautiful fabrics there... Look forward to the shed pics.

Toby Tea Cozy said...

Good grief, that's a stash and a half! So jealous of the Liberty prints!

Claire Gale said...

what a fab collection, you can really see the english influence! don't reckon i've seen much liberty is aus? i shipped all my gathered treasures over too when i came and i'm so pleased i did. they'll be there when you need them one day. have fun sorting, isn't it great the memories they stir x

PhotoPuddle said...

Wow, that's some stash!!!

Kim said...

Ooh, i'm imagining a gorgeous glass doored armoir with all of your fabrics folded and organised into colour schemes. Beautiful! i'd love my myself!

Jana said...

I'm not much of a saver but I'm drooling over your fabric stash :)
Jana