Saturday, 11 September 2010

Paris!

Yes, my holiday continues in ... Paris! Just a wee 3-day trip with my family to see the sights. I haven't been to Paris in over 20 years since Paul and I first met. We were lucky to find a brilliant hotel, the Novotel les Halles. It's a fairly standard family-type hotel but it has free unlimited wireless (yippee!), superb breakfast, and it is in an excellent location between the Louvre and Pompidou centre, within walking distance of both, just behind the Rue de Rivoli. The price was good too. Next to the hotel is a huge park with four different playgrounds for different ages of children, fantastic!! When you have two boys you always need to stop frequently to give them a run in the park, it's a bit like having dogs sometimes!


Also the area we are staying happens to be a little foodie enclave, with nice fruit shops...

and of course cheese and wine, to make a picnic for the park.

We have seen all the sights, plus some special things. Paul had us walk for miles across the city to find Poilane, reputedly the best bread-maker in the world (and the bread and pastries are certainly most delicious).

The boys got to see the Mona Lisa!

And I have been perusing all the beautiful little stores around Paris. So that's something for everyone, hurrah!

It has not all been plain-sailing. We got lost on our way to the hotel from the Gare du Nord and I was stressed out and somehow managed to leave my laptop bag on a bench in a busy street. I realised ten minutes later and rushed back, and amazingly it was still there!!! Quelle horreur! My youngest son has been plagued with nits (not great when you are travelling) and it rained all through the first day, though today has been beautiful. Who's complaining? Not me, madame! See you soon xx

11 comments:

Alison said...

Ooh la la! I am sooo envious. It sounds like your having a great time, apart from the nits and almost loosing your laptop.

Happy travels.

REread said...

ohhh la la. I just watched Coco Avant Chanel and am longing for a Paris trip

Jodie said...

Thanks for the great tips. We are planning a short break to Paris soon with 2 little ones and the hotel sounds great.

Jan said...

Have a wonderful time Larking about in Paris! Even though I was there only 6 weeks ago I am jealous - wonderful food, great people, am-I-really-here sights (and no nits)

Andrea said...

Hi,
It all looks lovely in Paris, I have not ben for such a long time!
I saw you in the fab Print and Pattern book so looked you up and was so pleased to see you have a blog!
I look forward to your future posts,
Andrea

L is for Love said...

Oh the joy of Paris! I simply NEED to get there soon. Have a fabulous time indulging in the city's pleasures xox

L is for Love said...

Oh the joy of Paris! I simply NEED to get there soon. Have a fabulous time indulging in the city's pleasures xox

Hey Bambini said...

Have a wonderful time!Shame about the nits - bugger! Are they french nits? ;)

designed to a T said...

Tre magnifique!! Hope you are having a fab time, except for the couple of little 'hiccups' along the way...Terese

Stomper Girl said...

Oh gosh, nits are bad enough, but when you're travelling! But your stay looks like great fun, I'm so jealous.

white cat vintage said...

Ohh lovely, even with the little hiccups it still seems wonderful. sooo envious here, I cant wait to get back there myself. Megan xx