Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Jam Tarts and Jockeys

Our family's tradition on Melbourne Cup Day is to bake some very simple jam tarts to eat in front of the TV while we cheer on our horses (picked out of a shoebox). Not exactly glamorous I know, but it's a tradition we all love. We don't make jam tarts at any other time, just Cup Day for some reason, so they taste extra good. This year my eldest son's three-year winning streak was broken by my husband, who is really pleased with himself. I came nowhere as usual. I grew up next to a famous English racecourse so you'd think I would be pretty good at betting on horses but I'm not.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful tradition! Mmm, the tarts sure do look yummy. As usual, I came second for the 4th year in a row :)

Irene ~ RE~VINTAGED said...

I am sitting here, its 4.15 and I still don't know who won! And I'm IN Melbourne!!
(I know, I should be ashamed of myself...)

Kelly said...

They looks so yummy, what a lovely tradition.

Drink More Tea said...

Cute chocoholic napkin

Cate said...

That's so sweet. My friend always bakes a lemon tart on cup day...and only cup day. And it's sooooo good! xxx