Sunday, 2 January 2011

Ladybird First Picture Book





I have a cherished collection of vintage Ladybird books. Hard to believe, but I remember learning to read from these! Today I find the illustrations so inspiring, especially this series of 'picture books' aimed at pre-schoolers. There are some wonderful children's illustrators around today, but they mostly appear to work on fiction books and it is hard to find any contemporary 'readers' that are as well-illustrated as these old books. I brought them out again when my kids were learning to read and they are still a great resource (both my boys are reading at least a year ahead of their grade - sorry to brag, but I am so proud of them! We are a very bookish family and they seem to have inherited it, but don't ask me about their maths scores or sports skills!). All of these things pictured here come straight from my early years. The bus, the English biscuits, the cot with the animal decals, and I definitely wore those shoes!

8 comments:

Cate said...

I have that one too!!
xxxCate

zigsma said...

Me too!! And have been collecting the Well Loved Tales series the last few years.

PhotoPuddle said...

I am so jealous!! I wish I still had all my old ladybird books.

Kickcan and Conkers said...

I've quite a collection too; we grew up in England at about the same time, my first reading books as well with a small bottle of milk and a straw in the morning.
Happy New Year!

little said...

last year I realised that all my favourite books are kids books - there's something very special about them :)

REread said...

I have heaps of those too ... 20c from the Lifeline bookfest ... I use them to make cards (no kids to read them to!)

Asha's Mama said...

we collect them too...and as for those red shoes....????.....I have looked everywhere to buy the same shoes as gorgeous as those and alas....my daughter is too old now to wear them......they are fabbo!!!

Handmade in Israel said...

Who doesn't love Ladybird?? I taught my kids to read from online purchased Topsy and Tim Ladybird books.