Monday, 16 May 2011

The Lark House


Finally, I can share some photos of The Lark House, which is now available as a holiday cottage. Most of the photos were taken by Rohan Anderson, a friend of ours who is an awesomely talented photographer (and gardener and cook and writer and father ...), I love how he has captured the little details that make the house unique.

As you may know, the house in Daylesford has been our family home for five years, and we transformed it from two rundown (but beautiful) cottages into a large house full of vintage fabrics and wallpapers and treasures collected from local vintage stores and op shops. It is one of the oldest homes in Daylesford, dating from 1860.

The house has appeared in Australian Country Style, the Herald Sun, The Design Files and Apartment Therapy, and it featured in the Frankie Spaces book.






In recent months we have added a garden studio with a working record player, 1950s sofa and a sewing corner.






And also we have finished work on a gorgeous retreat for newlyweds or parents, with a large bedroom, wood fire, sitting room, deck and shower room. This is my favourite room now, you can't imagine how tempted I am to move back in!




There are 3 other lovely bedrooms. These can all be set up as either single or double/king beds.





I had a lot of fun decorating the house ready for visitors. I used lots of the pretty Mae decals on blinds, bedside tables and walls. Love them!


Here is the living room.

Here is the kitchen.



I have provided mis-matched cutlery and lots of vintage crockery, but for those who prefer a modern style, there are also sets of plain white crockery too. There are lots of pots and pans, although I don't expect you will want to be cooking too much on your holiday, so there are also lots of big serving bowls that you can fill with salads and cheese and yummy stuff from the excellent local delis. There is a good coffee machine and a blender for your breakfast smoothies.

And the dining room, ready for tea.

And a local provisions basket to welcome visitors. It has eggs from local chooks, gourmet goodies and seasonal breakfast supplies and Hepburn mineral water.

Anyone fancy a picnic down by the lake or in the forest?

The main bathroom, of course. All of the linen and towels are provided, you don't have to bring anything to the Lark House, just yourself!

As you can see, there are lots of cosy nooks for reading - there are hundreds of magazines in the house, from Frankie to Inside Out, all my faves! And books too, and puzzles and games. Thanks for all the suggestions from you guys on facebook and my blog, we have used many of them to make the house as lovely as possible for visitors.

A little corner for children, who are most welcome. In the toy cupboard you'll find duplo, board games and some storybooks.

The Lark House is in the centre of Daylesford, in the most perfect location for vintage lovers, as it is 5 minutes walk from the Sunday bric-a-brac-market and practically next door to the wonderful Daylesford Bazaar! The main street cafes and shops are just 2 minutes away. Including the Lark shop of course!

There is a beautiful old verandah on two sides of the house where you can sit in peace and enjoy a cup of tea or watch the sun set over Daylesford with a glass of wine.

And at the back of the house, a deck with vines and a barbie, overlooking the large garden. And herbs to pick. There is plenty of room for kids to run around, and dogs are welcome too.

The Lark House is perfect for groups of up to 8 people. I think it would be great for a girly weekend with friends, to enjoy the spas, shopping and yummy restaurants of Daylesford. Or for a crafting retreat.

It's also the perfect spot for wedding parties and large family get-togethers. The first group to stay in the house were grandparents, parents and little ones and they left us such lovely comments!

I hope you can come and visit us in Daylesford and stay at the house. We are already pretty much booked up for weekends in May and June, and we are starting to take enquiries for the school holidays, spring wedding season and Christmas break. The cost is around $80 per person per night. All of the bookings are handled by the lovely folk at Daylesford Getaways, you can find all the details HERE on our website.

As a special thank you to my blog readers, if you make a booking at The Lark House and let me know, I will provide a $50 voucher to spend in the Lark shop during your visit.

Sigh! I think it's time to block out a few weekends for ourselves to stay at the house, I do miss being there!

30 comments:

pen said...

lovely work allison!
when can I move in?

Jenny said...

Just perfect Allison.

Jo - Dusty Plum said...

Heaven on a stick!! Oooh .. I'd better start planning my getaway!

Squiggly Rainbow said...

Beautiful - why did you move? Are you still in Dalesford?

Tina M - Georgie Girl said...

What gorgeous, gorgeous photos! Thank you so very much for sharing them.

Owlissa said...

It's beautiful! I can't wait to have a holiday there.

Owlissa said...

In fact, forget holiday. I think I'll just move in. It will save me from having to finish our renos. ;)

mel @ loved said...

That looks absolutely amazing! I think I know where I'll be organsising our next girls weekend!

Stacey said...

It's incredible! I've wanted to get back to Daylesford for ages now and now I have another great reason.

Jay @ Finki said...

Your attention to detail is exquisite. What a beautiful place to stay.

Lark said...

Thank you for the lovely comments everyone, it has been such hard work to get it all ready, so it is so nice to get some good feedback. the reason we have moved house is to be nearer our childrens' new school. We were having a lot of problems with the school so we moved to a lovely one in Ballarat and we live nearby, however Lark is still based in Daylesford and we work there during the week, and we plan to stay in the house sometimes at weekends for a holiday!x

nevertheless said...

oh my! ...it looks so beautiful, I might have to plan a little getaway to Daylesford

Georgie Love said...

Oh Allison, it is SO lovely. I am looking at Daylesford Getaways right now. I DEFINITELY need a break!

Michele said...

you have done such a lovely job. What a great place to stay. Love the little details like the kids corner and the teacosy and cutlery etc. Gorgeous place to stay. Sure you will be well booked

Carly said...

Oh wow. What an experience for your guests to stay in a house so filled with love! (Not to mention taste...!)

Hope your boys are enjoying their new school, and thanks so much for blogging about your experience - such an inspiring mum. :)

Jess said...

Wow what a sweet casa. Can't wait to visit!

delia hornbook said...

Wow it looks amazing and so homely you have done a fantastic job its going to be fully booked all the time i am sure. I love your radio gram there such gorgeous pieces of furniture to, have a lovely week, dee x

Aunty Ollie said...

What a gorgeous place - all the details are perfect. Now I need to scheme a weekend away...

MARĂ„NG FORM said...

Really love it! And I love all the wallpapers in the bedroom.

Down that Little Lane said...

Stunning, simply stunning. Just bookmarked it in my Aus Hols Folder xx

Julia Deering said...

SO beautiful. Actually made me cry a little. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Julia x

la boom! said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
I would love to really live there!!!
:)

Mrs Bok - The Bok Flock said...

Beautiful! How did you ever move out!! Will come stay with you soon. So gorgeous.

Nat @ dear little house said...

Great work, it really really does look amazing :)

ani's house said...

WOw that is gorgeous!

Emeraldflare said...

I went to Daylesford recently (drove all the way from Sydney) but was so disappointed the Lark shop was closed during the weekdays :( I did however stopped by the Bazaar and bought a lovely teapot :)

Jenni said...

what a dreamy, welcoming place. Divine!

Frances said...

Hello,
I've made a booking...with some girlfriends for early July. CANNOT wait to see your lovely Lark House.
Cheers, Fran.

Kio said...

Beautiful house to visit.

Carpet Cleaning Sydney

kale stone said...

I am planning a holiday with my kids this Christmas and I will surely afford this one. It’s really a beautiful gift for my children. I loved your pictures.


Keep updating!
Tamborine mountain accommodation